Friday, April 18, 2008

Reflections on 13 years with Russell

Yesterday was our only son's 13th birthday!!!

I am now, officially, the mother of a teenager. And not just a teenager, but a teenage boy!

I'm kidding.

Anyone who knows us and who knows my Russell would probably say that he isn't your typical boy. He's studious and quiet.

He's very organized and very calm.

He is a bookworm to the max.

He is well spoken and can hold his own in and actually prefers adult conversation.

He's just an all around really special and unique boy.

We've had none of your typical boy-ness from him, and may I say, Thank You, God! No marking up the walls with Sharpie markers! No tracking in mud on my floors! No running and breaking things and screaming and not being able to sit still! No guns, although he does like them and knows how to shoot well. No congratulating himself on being master of the universe while he triumphantly holds up his latest kill from the wilderness.

And for the absence of all of the above I am extremely and eternally grateful. I pray for all of you moms out there who have a housefull of typical boys, because we have a houseful of typical girls, and you can return the favor and pray for me just because of that! lol!!!!! But I digress.......

We used to imagine what it would be like, all those years ago, when we got to 13. It seems that we blinked too long and now it's upon us, and it is a bit disconcerting how it happened so fast. It really cements the fact that time indeed does fly.

I find myself today being very thankful for modern technology, for without it, my 13 year old son may not be here. He was born 5 weeks early with no warning and was very sick. He stayed in the NICU for 2 weeks.

He's not scarred from his early ordeals, other than severe allergies to foods. And a propensity for vomitting, early on, for about two years. Every bottle came right back up! Didn't it, Gayle!!??

We are so thankful that God gave man the ability and the wisdom to save little lives.

Without that ability, our lives would be so much less joyful today had Russell not survived.

I'm intensely aware of how much we've been given. I'm purposing to be intensely thankful and live in humility for the gift of my children.

And I want to say thank you to my husband because as I type this, he is composing for a movie, and the piece he's playing could easily accompany this post. It's poignant and emotive and gorgeous.........

Just like our Russell.

5 comments:

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

"I'm purposing to be intensely thankful and live in humility for the gift of my children."

Amen. We all need to do that, me especially. And especially on the not-so-easy days.

Noah was also 5 weeks early, but not so allergic. He was in the NICU for over a week. I love modern technology! And nice nurses.

Rebeca said...

Happy Birthday to the teenaged boy! I can't even imagine Peregrine being 13- he's the rough and tumble, wild, war whooping, crazy sort of boy. (Wonderful in their own mysterious way! Wonderful, but baffling to this female!)
You are blessed!
Rebeca

Gayle said...

Happy Birthday Russell! He's is definately a unique boy.

And I don't miss the projectile vomiting one bit. I've got picture of him and Elijah laying on the flour of our old house together. He was a giant even then.

How do you like the font changes. Is there anything else that needs adjusting?

Kathryn said...

We have a lot in common. I too have a wonderfully unique boy, and he was in the NICU too. I also have a typical girl! And my hubby is playing in the background as I write this..."Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee", also fitting. I'm SO thankful for Parker's uniqueness, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Though...I agree with Emily....all boys are treasures. I have nephews that were sweet bundles of energy growing up, and I loved that almost as much as I love my boy! Happy Birthday Russell! May God grant you many more Happy Birthdays!

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a real sweet boy....errr teenager:) I hope you have a nice time celebrating.
:>Michelle