Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Tasty Tuesday

I have another recipe for you!

It's my hummus recipe.

Now, before you turn up your nose in disgust, hang in there with me! 

A couple of years ago, I began to see a lot of this stuff called "hummus" in the grocery store. Upon reading that it was made of garbanzo beans, I was grossed out! Ewww.  Did anyone eat this stuff?

Fast forward a few years….it's popular! I tried it.

It was hideously disgusting.  The stuff in the stores tastes like bland paste! However, I liked the texture and I could tell that, with some tweaking and reworking, hummus could be wonderful.

So I took on the job.

And here's what I came up with. 

**Let me say a few things first: I use my Vitamix blender for this recipe, and it blends as easy as warm butter.  You can also try your food processor, if you have one, but a good, high power blender works best.  

**One of the unique things about this hummus is that I use essential oil.  I know it seems strange, but my Young Living essential oils are the only essential oils sold on the market that are safe to eat! I realize that most of you don't have this lemon oil, so you can use the juice of half of a fresh lemon plus the zest from that half lemon.  It's a bit more time consuming and labor intensive to do it that way, but I've done it and it tastes pretty good.

You can serve this with your favorite crackers, or you can use baguettes or warm pitas or even serve it with your favorite veggies! 


Mama's Lemon Parmesan Hummus

2 cans garbanzo beans, drained
1/4 C good olive oil
2 cloves garlic 
2 tsp salt
1/2 C good parmesan cheese, finely grated
1/2 bell pepper, sliced
2 TBSP Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1/2 can black olives (I know, it's a strange amount, but give the rest of the olives to your toddler!)
5 drops Young Living lemon essential oil

In the pitcher of your blender, pour the olive oil.  Add all of the other ingredients and blend on low until mixture is smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides frequently.  If blender is having trouble blending this mixture, add more olive oil. When it's blended smooth, taste it and adjust the salt to taste.  That's it! Serve with your favorite crackers and ENJOY!!


Recipe copyright leeswords2014.

No comments: