Monday, July 7, 2014

Mmmmmonday!

Well, this is a spontaneous recipe post!

I guess that's the way I work….I'm learning I'm a super instinctive person and I'm also learning that that's okay!

This morning I made some baked oatmeal.

Now, if you know me you know that I very seldom use recipes or cookbooks.  I love cookbooks, so it's quite strange that I don't use them more, but truthfully, recipes confuse me and stump me! It's really weird because I have cookbooks in my kitchen, but I actually love them not for the recipes and foods they hold, but for the stories they tell about the person who put them together.  If I'm not careful, I'll have a large cookbook collection that I'll never use!

As I was saying….ahem….rabbit trail!!

The baked oatmeal I made this morning was totally spur-of-the-moment.  I know how to make baked oatmeal and so, I threw together some ingredients.  The girls said it was the best oatmeal they've ever had…..and let me tell you this: I don't even LIKE oatmeal and I thought it was awesome.  It tasted like a warm and soft oatmeal chocolate chip cookie with peanut butter!

Here's the recipe:

Baked Peanut Butter Cookie Oatmeal

5 C gluten free regular oats (I use Bob's Red Mill)
2 C half and half
1 C creamy peanut butter (I use Adam's Natural, the kind you stir)
3 TBSP vanilla
3/4 C brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 pkg mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (I love Ghirardelli)

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together the oats and the half and half.  In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the peanut butter and the butter together.  Pour the peanut butter/butter mixture over the oat/milk mixture and stir.  Add the brown sugar, vanilla and the mini chocolate chips.  Mix very well.  Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish (I use butter) and pour oatmeal mixture into it.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.  

**This oatmeal is really delicious drizzled with warmed strawberry jam.  You can omit the mini chocolate chips, but they really do make it really special. This oatmeal can also be served as a dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! At the risk of sounding like I'm bragging, I think I'd rather have a bowl of this oatmeal than a piece of cake any day!!**

I hope you try this and love it, and I hope your Monday is bright and beautiful!!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds delish! I love oatmeal. Mmmmmm. :) I'm not much of a breakfast cooker, though. It's kind of a cereal and fruit situation here every morning. I'm impressed when people can hop out of bed and start cooking! I'm NOT a morning person.... ;)

Kathryn said...

Yay! I can finally read your blog. Something was weird with the margins, and I could never see half of the words on the left side. It looks great!