Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Recipe

This recipe is one my Kellie created.  She created it when she was 8.  I think that's pretty amazing....but then again, I love to create recipes and maybe she's going to be like that too!! It's a short one that doesn't involve a lot of ingredients, as those are the best kind of recipes! We always have this stuff on hand at our house because I bake a LOT.  I'm not quite sure how much this is per serving, but I know that it is ridiculously cheap for our family, and you know we have a BIG family!! So here it is!

Kellie's Karamel Sauce:

1 can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk!!!)
1 C firmly packed brown sugar
2 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt

In a small pan, melt butter of low heat.  DO NOT let butter come to a boil or scorch! When butter is melted, add brown sugar and condensed milk.  Simmer gently, WITHOUT BOILING, until melted and combined, about 10 or 15 minutes.  Stir the sauce a lot.  Add vanilla and salt.  Let sauce simmer for about 15 more minutes.  The sauce is done when it is no longer grainy but smooth and coats the back of a spoon. 

We use this sauce on ice cream (of course) but it can also be drizzled over apple pie and used in shakes. I personally love it over my gluten-free brownies and on my gluten-free pumpkin chocolate cake!! We love the buttery, salty taste and the thickness of this sauce.  I hope you enjoy it!!





1 comment:

Erin said...

Sounds delish!