Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Song

Many years ago, my children and I watched "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron".

We love horses here so of course we loved the film.  It was very well done and we thought the story line was unique and very well thought out.

When the movie started, I really expected to only be entertained and truthfully, I thought it was going to be a cheesy, stupid environmental flick.

I ended up being totally taken by surprise.

The biggest surprise for me was that God spoke to me.

Now, before I go any further with this post, let me say that I believe that the Lord can speak to His children through any medium imagined, whether it be through nature or a painting or a story or a thought or a song. He is the Author of every single creative medium, so the idea that He could speak through any medium is logical....but it wasn't for me! I thought that He only worked through "spiritual" outlets.  I was sure He only spoke through "religious" medium.  

And now I realize how wrong I was!

While watching Spirit, a song played during the scene where the horse was being transported in a train car during the beginning of a snow storm.  He had been stolen from everything he had known and loved and he didn't know where he was headed.  He felt that he was at his very lowest.  He felt that he was in a dark pit and he just wanted to quit.

We watched the movie during the most dark, very hardest time in my life.  I had experienced tremendous loss and grief up to that point and to tell you the truth, I was in the midst of a crises of faith.  

Then I heard "Sound the Bugle Now" 

And it was as though a lightning bolt from Heaven split the sky and struck my heart.  The words to the song illuminated my mind and I actually felt the Lord's presence in the song.  He spoke to me through that song, and to this day, whenever I listen to that song, my eyes tear up and my heart wells up with gratitude to the Lord for picking me up out of the pit I was in and using a song from an animated movie, of all things, to get my attention.

So, here are the words to that song.  I think someone out there reading this needs to hear this message, so I pray that Christ would hasten the words deep into your heart!

"Sound the bugle now,
play it just for me.
As the seasons change,
remember how I used to be.
Now I can't go on,
I can't even start,
I've got nothing left,
just an empty heart.
I'm a soldier,
wounded so I must give up the fight.
There's nothing more for me,
lead me away....
or leave me lying here.

Sound the bugle now.
Tell them I don't care.
There's not a road I know
that leads to anywhere.
Without a light I fear that I will
stumble in the dark...
lay right down
decide not to go on.

Then from on high,
somewhere in the distance,
there's a voice that calls
'remember who you are!
If you lose yourself
your courage soon will follow.
So be strong tonight!
Remember who you are!'

Yeah you're a soldier now,
fighting in a battle,
to be free once more.....
yeah, that's worth fighting for!'"

"Sound the Bugle Now" by Bryan Adams from the soundtrack
of 'Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron'

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Pretty sure you posted it for me. I won't go into details, but it was a lovely song to hear tonight. And I may be weird, but I have always really liked Bryan Adams' voice. It was a pleasant surprise to see he was the vocalist on this song. I'll have to watch the movie sometime...sounds like it was a good one :) Thanks for posting this.